Hey all I realized I went MIA last week when it came to posting my weekly goals but the truth is the week was just hard. Between the weather going stupid (SNOW in the desert!), a new baby being born, and a memorial service to attend out of town the week just seemed to slip away from me. But I am back (even if I’m back a few days late) with my goals for the week as well as a little freebie.
One of the hardest parts of making a life style change, especially when it comes to the foods you eat, is making sure you can find substitutes that will not leave you feeling like you are completely missing out on all the fun stuff. Sometimes its a matter of just accepting that there isn’t an alternate substitute and it is just something you have to be willing to let go of. But often there are times a healthier option that tastes just as good, if not better, than the real thing. Luckily, during our journey to healthier choices Dusty and I have found a few new favorite recipes that we will be incorporating into our regular meal planning schedules.
Bellow is a recipe that has become some of our favorites. This recipe and many more recipes can be found in the Daniel Plan Cookbook which can be purchased on The Daniel Plan Website.
Oven Fried Chicken
I LOVE fried chicken. Truth be told I love fried anything but fried chicken and mashed potatoes has always been one of my biggest comfort foods. This probably has a lot to do with the fact that when I was a kid living in a house full of 6 other kids as well as both of my parents KFC was an easy and relatively inexpensive way to feed us all when mom didn’t want to cook or if something happened that prevented her from being able to do so. The wonderful crispy skin, the juicy meat, the mashed potatoes and gravy, the buttery corn…it was all fantastic. But I digress.
When I purchased the Daniel Plan cookbook the first thing I discovered was this recipe for Oven Fried Chicken. I will be honest with you when I say I was skeptical. I have tried other recipes of this type with the promise of “tasting just like fried chicken” and have been sorely disappointed so I made the decision to try this one out with very low expectations. AND BOY WAS I SURPRISED.
This recipe is beyond fantastic. Even the kids (the littlest of whom has decided to become a picky eater surviving off of nothing but ketchup, popcorn, and dum dum lolli pops) asked for seconds. Dusty was so impressed he asked if we could have it again the next night. I was floored. We paired it with mashed cauliflower in place of the mashed potatoes and some roasted brussel sprouts and the meal was perfect.
I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with you all so here it is: Oven Fried Chicken. Just click on that link and get to cooking!
Goals for this week:
Casa De Marshall (Homemaking)
- Menu plan and grocery shop
- Laundry..all the laundry
Mars Hall Legacy Academy (Homeschooling)
- Begin school by 9 AM each day.
- Continue to encourage Collin to work independently on his grade level work.
- PE 3 times a week (yoga or outside play)
- Week 6 of the Daniel Plan-diligently tracking what I am eating.
- Work with Dusty to revamp and relaunch “Marshall Marital Musings” Youtube channel
- Read rather than watch TV during the day
- Begin making plans for a date night for mine and Dusty’s birthdays.
- Buy flowers for hitting my 10 pounds lost mark.
A Wise Woman in Progress (My Little Corner of the Internet)
- Write and post a second post for this week
- Work on a better social media sharing schedule.
- Brain storm future blog ideas.
New Life Baptist Fellowship
- Work with Dusty to begin developing a plan for community outreach
- Begin rearranging the side room of the church for children/nursery usage
- Plan a Sunday School lesson for the kids during the 10 o’clock Sunday School time.
Let me be the first to say that I am not sure just how much of all this will get done this week but, hey, it’s the thought that counts right? Sure…we will go with that his week.